[webkit-help] Question about usability of WebKit

jeroen clarysse jeroen.clarysse at telenet.be
Wed Dec 9 07:10:57 PST 2009

Hi all

I maintain an application (for authoring psychology experiments) that has a fairly dynamic GUI that displays automatically upon an internal C++ representation. Currently, I code in C++ on windows only, but (being a mac user at home), i would like to port my application to mac as well. A friend suggested to separate the authoring engine from the experiment-runtime-engine, and write the former part as a web-page. I'm fairly experienced with javascript and DOM manipulations, so i figured that indeed this could be a very flexible and dynamic interface.

my questions however were :
- is webkit intended to be part of a non-web-based application ?  Can I write an app that looks nothing at all like a browser, and simply displays an internal, locked, webpage ?
- can I load local data into that webpage ? My experiments are local files, opened, edited and saved on the users harddisk
- is it possible to launch my runtime (with that local file), from my webkit-based application ?
- can I do this cross-platform on mac & windows ?
- am i being silly and should I stick to my own custom-drawn code, and port that to Carbon ?

many thanks in advance !

Jeroen