[webkit-gtk] No flag for WebGPU - is it planned?

Andrea Giammarchi andrea.giammarchi at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 13:36:35 PDT 2023

Thanks, although I see `_Metal` or `_METAL` is a bit all over the
repository ... and declared as backend for the WebGPU folder:
https://github.com/WebKit/WebKit/blob/698b77b55d9bc0ab42b6f6163de772de2512793f/Source/WebGPU/WebGPU/Adapter.mm#L77

May I ask if anyone is even thinking about enabling that Vulkan one and/or
bringing that WebGPU in?
https://github.com/WebKit/WebKit/blob/698b77b55d9bc0ab42b6f6163de772de2512793f/Source/WebGPU/WebGPU/WebGPU.h#L192C16-L203

Would a custom build of WebKitGTK that replace Metal with Vulkan adapter
work? I understand I might not have answers around these topics, but as
there is a folder and clearly right now everything floats around Metal API
only in a static way, I am more than curious about why all those options or
if these would anyhow works once exposed.

Today I had to use Chromium Dev channel on Linux with Vulkan and unsafe
WebGPU flags enabled to run ML out of my browser to test Web Stable
Diffusion https://websd.mlc.ai/ and I was super sad about not being able to
do so with my daily driver: GNOME Web.

Thanks.