[webkit-gtk] libwebkit2gtk and gstreamer-plugins dependencies

Patrick Griffis pgriffis at igalia.com
Wed Aug 16 10:01:00 PDT 2023

On 2023-08-12 04:26, Fourhundred Thecat wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to install liferea RSS reader on Debian 12. Liferea depends on
> libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37, which in turn depends on huge number of
> gstreamer-plugins packages, and even tools for ripping CDs.
>
> Since I don't intend to use liferea for anything more than to read RSS,
> I am wondering if it would be possible to reduce the number of dependent
> packages, and perhaps compile libwebkit2gtk without all the media plugins ?
>
> I am trying to have minimal install, without unnecessary dependencies.
>
> thank you,

This is mostly a distribution question. Most distros, outside of Gentoo
only probably, provide no way to only install the GStreamer plugins you
need.

As Michael mentioned you could do a custom build of WebKitGTK or you
could potentially make custom packages for GStreamer that only includes
needed plugins.