[webkit-gtk] WPEWebKit goes half speed

Andrea Giammarchi andrea.giammarchi at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 00:04:39 PDT 2021

Dear all,
  I have finally solved the problem, or better, Zan found what was causing
the performance drop, and turned out ICU was constantly querying the FS in
search for /etc/localtime which, if not present, was causing a lot of back
and forth, degrading performance.

The solution, which has been updated in my ArchLinux kiosk installer for
the Pi, was to use timedatectl [1] and be sure such a symlink was there.

sudo timedatectl set-timezone "$(curl --fail https://ipapi.co/timezone)"

Thanks to Zan in particular, and thanks to this ML too.

Have a lovely weekend ��

[1]
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/System_time#Update_timezone_every_time_NetworkManager_connects_to_a_network