[webkit-gtk] What is the status of the gtk4 port?

Carlos Garcia Campos cgarcia at igalia.com
Tue May 25 00:36:59 PDT 2021

El lun, 24-05-2021 a las 18:14 +0200, Lothar Scholz escribió:
> I was silently following the mailing list for about a year and there
> has been no news about a Gtk4 port in the last months.  I have a new
> project coming which requires a web browser widget and really would
> love to start with Gtk4 from the start.
>
> So what is the status?

WebKitGTK has been ported to GTK4 already, the only missing feature is
a11y. It's not "officially" supported yet, though for two reasons:

1- As I said accessibility is missing. We need to find a solution, and
it's not going to be easy I'm afraid.

2- The GTK4 support implies we are going to break the API and bump the
API version in a incompatible way. We want to take advantage of it to
remove deprecated APIs and maybe do other API changes.

So, you can already build with GTK4 enabled, and install it in parallel
to the GTK3 version, but we are not updating the library version and
the API might change in the future.