[webkit-gtk] Building with wayland requires GLX for opengl support ?

Carlos Alberto Lopez Perez clopez at igalia.com
Thu Mar 11 14:58:36 PST 2021

On 11/03/2021 23:38, Quentin SCHIBLER wrote:
> You can have an opengl build of mesa without glx, but the installed opengl library is called libELG.so instead of the traditional libGL.so created by glx.

I think you are confusing EGL with GL. They are different things.

- On GNU/Linux the windowing system can be either EGL (Wayland, X11) or GLX (X11).
- On GNU/Linux the API for issuing commands to the GPU can be either GL or GLESv2.

To actually draw anything on a traditional GNU/Linux desktop with Wayland or X11
you need a combination of both things. So you need to choose between any of this
four combinations: GL+EGL, GL+GLX, GLESv2+GL, GLESv2+GLX

You can't just have EGL without having any of GL or GLESv2

So your system on top of EGL it has to have either GL or GLESv2.

Look for a library named libGLESv2.so or libGL.so. At least one of the two should be there.