[webkit-gtk] Font rendering issue in WebKitGTK 2.34.1

Radu Rendec radu.rendec at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 18:53:48 PST 2021

Hello,

I'm using WebKitGTK 2.34.1 (on Fedora 35) and I'm seeing a different
behavior with regards to font rendering after a recent upgrade (from
Fedora 33).

To give you a little background, I'm using the interpreter-version=35
setting with FreeType and full type hinting. This seems to be a rather
controversial topic, and I'm one of those few who prefer to see a crisp
clear rendering of font glyphs resulting from horizontal and vertical
lines always being aligned with physical display pixels.

Outside WebKitGTK, the same font (DejaVu Sans) always looks the way I
expect it to. Inside WebKitGTK, the font looks good close to the left
margin of the page, and "deteriorates" as it advances to the right. It
looks like full type hinting only works close to the left margin, which
doesn't make much sense. I would expect it to either work everywhere or
not work at all.

I'm not sure if my description is accurate enough. I have a screenshot,
but I'm not exactly sure how to share it, since posting attachments to
mailing lists is generally discouraged. Anyway, I'm hoping to start a
conversation here, and I can provide further details if needed. Any
hint or suggestion would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Radu