[webkit-gtk] Enabling gamepad support by default in the GTK port

Adrian Perez de Castro aperez at igalia.com
Wed Oct 21 00:11:03 PDT 2020

Hi Jeremy,

On Tue, 20 Oct 2020 22:55:15 -0400 Jeremy Bicha <jeremy at bicha.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 14, 2020, 03:00 Adrian Perez de Castro <aperez at igalia.com>
> wrote:
> > therefore I propose to make
>
> > the ENABLE_GAMEPAD_SUPPORT option selectable at build time, thus allowing
> > Debian to continue providing WebKitGTK security updates for that release.
> >
> > (On the other hand, both the previous Ubuntu LTS [6] and the current one
> > provide a package for libmanette, so all good there!)
> >

> An Ubuntu distinctive is the main/universe split. Packages in main are not
> allowed to depend on packages in universe. Canonical needs to agree to
> support a package for it to be moved from universe to main. Please do not
> remove the option to disable gamepad support until Ubuntu enables the
> feature, which may be years away.

I do not expect this to be an issue. Typically once a build option is marked
as PUBLIC and it has appeared in a release, we rarely set it back to PRIVATE.
Moreover, we are committed to make it possible for Ubuntu to pick WebKitGTK
security updates, which is one more reason for us to keep the build option :)

Not that CMake will prevent you from setting a “private” option in the command
line anyway… I think that the main practical difference for packagers is that
we consider it a bug if the build is broken when toggling a public option but
we do not expect anybody to change the default value of a private one [1].

Cheers,
—Adrián

---
[1] Disabling private build option kind of tends to work and some of them we
    may fix on occasion; for example we typically keep builds with configured
    with ENABLE_VIDEO=OFF + ENABLE_WEB_AUDIO=OFF usable because it is useful
    for some embedded uses to completely avoid the GStreamer dependency, but
    this is done in a best-effort basis and it may not work in some releases.
    OTOH, enabling private options is very likely to fail because typically
    they control features lacking implementation in the GTK/WPE ports! YMMV.