[webkit-gtk] WebKitGTK 2.28.3 released!

Carlos Alberto Lopez Perez clopez at igalia.com
Mon Jul 13 11:22:19 PDT 2020

On 13/07/2020 17:15, Dennis New wrote:
> Why are there so many "arbitrary code execution" bugs that constantly
> keep popping up?

So many? You should compare with Firefox or Chrome security track
record: they also report dozens of issues like this with each new
release [1]

Web browsers are incredible complex pieces of software. On top of that
there is lot of interest from the security research community on finding
issues on them, so they are continuously scrutinized for security
vulnerabilities.

> https://www.webkitgtk.org/security/WSA-2020-0006.html
>
> Are they as bad as the terse CVE descriptions say they are?

Yes, they are bad. Most of them are use-after-free vulnerabilities which
are discovered by security researches running automated fuzzers against
ASAN builds of WebKit.

With patience and skills its possible to develop working exploits for
this issues. But I'm currently not aware of any of this recent issues
being exploited in the wild.

Also, the bubblewrap sandbox where the WebProcess runs by default should
help to mitigate the risk and the possible real impact of this issues.

However, the only safe recommendation I can give is to always run the
last stable version.

Regards
-------

[1]