[webkit-gtk] General question: Long compilation times

Sergio Villar Senin svillar at igalia.com
Tue Jan 7 01:59:02 PST 2020

Hi Dennis,

there are definitely features you could disable at build time, check
all the ENABLE_XXX defines. You can pass them to the build-webkit
script using --cmakeargs=ARGS, for example to disable geolocation:

--cmakeargs="-DENABLE_GEOLOCATION=OFF"

However I cannot skip mentioning that the machine you're trying to use
to build WebKit is clearly not suitable for the task. There have been
efforts to reduce build times (like unified builds) but still we're
talking about a multi-million SLOC project. Note that developers
working on WebKit use either very powerful desktops with a lot of CPUs
or build farms (or even both).

What you consider as "only show some text and images" is actually a
pretty complex piece of code that involves networking code to fetch
resources, CSS parsing, HTML parsing, layout/render/graphicslayer...
trees construction, JavaScript interpretation, image decoding,
rasterization, (accelerated) composition.... and many other things.

If you just need a browser basically for text perhaps you could use
links instead (although I am not sure about its current state).

BR

O Xov, 02-01-2020 ás 09:25 -0500, Dennis New escribiu: