[webkit-gtk] Deprecation of shared-secondary-process mode

Carlos Garcia Campos cgarcia at igalia.com
Fri Sep 6 01:00:22 PDT 2019

El vie, 06-09-2019 a las 09:07 +1000, Michael Gratton escribió:
> Hi all,
>
> I just realised shared-secondary-process mode has been deprecated
> after
> reading the release notes for 2.25.92, and I'm pretty concerned
> about
> the performance impact of removing it for Geary.
>
> When displaying conversations, Geary uses a WebKitWebView per
> message.

Isn't it possible to use a single web view?

> System Monitor currently reports the web process as using just under
> 20M. Even in the common case of a conversation displaying low tens
> of
> messages, that extra 200-400MB of memory represents a doubling of
> Geary's memory consumption. In the not-uncommon case of
> conversations
> with high tens or hundreds of messages, that's a double order of
> magnitude increase in memory consumption - literally gigabytes.
>
> As such, single processes per WebKitWebView just isn't scalable. Can
> shared-secondary-process mode be brought back? If not, is there
> anything in place to mitigate this?

For 2.26 you can set the env var WEBKIT_USE_SINGLE_WEB_PROCESS=1. This
is a temporary solution, only available in 2.26, to give apps more time
to adapt to the multiprocess model.

There's another option that might make sense in the case of geary if
using a web view per message is the best option, which is making all
web views in the same conversation related (See
https://webkitgtk.org/reference/webkit2gtk/unstable/WebKitWebView.html#WebKitWebView--related-view
) All related web views will share the same web process.

--
Carlos Garcia Campos
http://pgp.rediris.es:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xF3D322D0EC4582C3