[webkit-gtk] Silently failing to load web extensions

Michael Gratton mike at vee.net
Thu Jan 17 14:52:49 PST 2019

Hey Adrian,

On Fri, 18 Jan, 2019 at 3:01 AM, Adrian Perez de Castro
<aperez at igalia.com> wrote:
> I can vouch for this; it worked fine any time I needed to load
> extensions.

Sure, under the assumption that things like the build system is working
correctly, installation was don correctly, a filesystem bit didn't get
flipped by a neutrino passing through, causing the extension lib to
disappear from the directory. You know, normal things. :)

> Note that you have to make sure that it is invoked as early as
> possible before any web view is created. If you doubt about where to
> call it, my advice is to use a callback for the
> WebKitWebContext::initialize-web-extensions signal (which is also
> what the documentation recommends).

Yes, that's what Geary is currently doing.

Currently under Geary nothing looks terribly wrong if the web extension
isn't loaded -- a few apparently unrelated things stop working but
there's no obvious red flag. I was just looking for some error
reporting so that in the future something else happens to cause the
extension to not be loaded, that such a red flag could be waived. Error
reporting is good, right?

//Mike

--
⊨ Michael Gratton, Percept Wrangler.