[webkit-gtk] Silently failing to load web extensions

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at igalia.com
Thu Jan 17 07:25:41 PST 2019

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 6:38 PM, Michael Gratton <mike at vee.net> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> It looks like people who install Geary from source to /usr/local
> (more common now that meson defaults to that as the install prefix)
> are finding their web extensions not being loaded under Fedora for...
> reasons.
>
> It would be good to have a more deterministic API for loading
> extensions, so applications can determine when loading one has failed
> and report an error, something like
> "webkit_web_context_load_web_extension_async(const gchar *dir, const
> gchar *name, ...)". Is this likely to be possible to implement?

Um... what are "reasons"? If Geary calls
webkit_web_context_set_web_extensions_directory() with the correct
directory then web extensions under /usr/local should work just fine.

> As an aside, I note that Ephy is installing its web extensions to
> `libexec`, despite extensions not being executables. Is that to work
> around issues with /usr/local lib dirs not being on ld.so.conf paths?

No, Epiphany installs its web extension into libdir/epiphany. That's
/usr/lib64/epiphany on Fedora. Where did you find it under libexec? Of
course it doesn't belong there.