[webkit-gtk] WebKitGTK has 4 problems with Arabic script

Farhad Mohammadi Majd farhadbenyamin at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 7 02:45:24 PST 2019

Hello, I see 4 problems in the latest stable version (3.34) of both
GNOME Web (Epiphany) and GNOME Evolution on the Fedora 31 and Ubuntu
19.10

In order of importance:

1. GNOME Evolution can't write/compose, and show bi-directional text
correctly, I have tried and checked all the options and ways but I was
unsuccessful, it is set to the left-to-right direction and there is no
option for right to left scripts.

2. In both GNOME Web (Epiphany) and GNOME Evolution, showing the Arabic
diacritics in the text, makes the lines unorganized and mixed, example:

https://ar.wikipedia.org/wiki/سورة_الإخلاص

3. The "Zero-width non-joiner" non-printing character (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-width_non-joiner) is showing
incorrectly in the URL bar/address bar, open the below CNN article in
Persian WP with GNOME Web and look at the URL bar/address bar:

https://fa.wikipedia.org/wiki/سی‌ان‌ان

it is rendered wrongly as following:

https://fa.wikipedia.org/wiki/سی%E2%80%8Cان%E2%80%8Cان

WebKitGTK produces %E2%80%8C for Zero-width non-joiner! |:

4. After adding one or two Arabic diacritic to one Arabic letter,
removing the Arabic diacritic causes the whole Arabic letter become
deleted, while in major browsers, only Arabic diacritics is deleted.

Please open individually BUG report pages for each one and try to fix
them; please also check the Apple Safari to see are these problems
exist on it or not.

Many thanks and good luck.