[webkit-gtk] Support for PKCS11 / Smartcard?

Benjamin Greiner greiner at dsi.uni-stuttgart.de
Mon Apr 15 15:00:31 PDT 2019

Hi,

https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-gtk/2018-December/003401.html
<mailto:webkit-gtk%40lists.webkit.org?Subject=Re%3A%20%5Bwebkit-gtk%5D%20Support%20for%20PKCS11%20/%20Smartcard%3F&In-Reply-To=%3C466db8bb-6a2a-3778-d403-21d925af3523%40cox.net%3E>
/Thu Dec 6 19:50:07 PST 2018/
> Michael,
>

> On 12/06/2018 01:23 PM, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> //>>//>>/Ok, do you have a ballpark on when you might have time to work on this? />>/Are we talking a few months, or a year or more? />//>/Honestly no clue. Hopefully weeks or months. /
> Well, that's a lot better than years ;-)
>
> Just curious, how are priorities set as to what functionality or code
> changes are a priority vs another?  I am guessing it is based on the
> priorities of the project supporting organizations (such as linux
> vendors, etc.?).  But it sounds like I am one of the first to ask for
> smartcards to work?  Given the push for smartcards across the government
> I would have expected a lot of interest in stuff like this!
>

> Jim

Yes there is! I also work in a project in collaboration with a US
government agency (the spacy one), where everything moved to Office365
and OAuth2. Until recently you could still access mail through IMAP but
that has been removed. Still, there is even an official manual how to
access E-Mail on a Linux machine through Evolution and EWS using OAuth2.
But ever since the option of a username and password login for the
OAuth2 page has been deemed not secure enough, we now need to use the
smartcard login.

Given that the agency is full of scientist, who work with Linux
computers, I presume support for smartcards would greatly be appreciated.

BTW, Chromium connects fine to the Office365 portal using smartcard
login, a soon as the opensc-pkcs11.so module is loaded.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Common_Access_Card

Ben