[webkit-gtk] detect javascript loops

Jérémy Lal kapouer at melix.org
Thu Apr 11 06:47:56 PDT 2019

Le jeu. 11 avr. 2019 à 15:38, Konstantin Tokarev <annulen at yandex.ru> a
écrit :

> 11.04.2019, 16:31, "Rena" <hyperhacker at gmail.com>:
> > On Thu, Apr 11, 2019, 05:34 Jérémy Lal <kapouer at melix.org> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Does webkit(gtk) offer a way to detect client javascript that does
> things like that:
> >> ```
> >> while (true) {}
> >> ```
> >
> > Look up "halting problem".
>
> I guess question was asked about run-time detection of infinite loop, not
> about doing it before
> execution of JS code started.
>
> It can be manually done via Inspector, which shows if there is JS code
> running and allows to
> pause it and see executed line of code.
>
> As for programmatic way, I guess that WebProcessProxy::isResponsible()
> should become false
> if JS code is blocking main thread, but I haven't checked. It seems like
> this feature not exposed
> in public API of WebKitGTK.

Yes that's what i meant. Something to get a similar feature as in other
browsers:
"something is blocking page execution..." etc...
Of course it might sometimes be wrong so it's not something that would kill
all without asking first.

It's also of interest when doing headless stuff with webkitgtk and detect
something's wrong.
Would it be easy to expose as public api ?

Jérémy