[webkit-gtk] WebKitGTK+ 2.22.2 released!

Adrian Perez de Castro aperez at igalia.com
Fri Sep 21 14:37:01 PDT 2018

Hello all,

First, note that the 2.22.2 release tarball is signed with my PGP key
(the same as for this e-mail) instead of Carlos Garcia's. This is not a
mistake, and I will be helping out with releases when needed. Hopefully
this wills not cause much inconvenience to packagers.

We wanted to make today's release sooner rather than later and I happened
to be available around the time when the contents of the release were ready.

On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 20:44:14 +0000 (UTC), Adrian Perez de Castro <aperez at igalia.com> wrote:

> What's new in the WebKitGTK+ 2.22.2 release?
>
>   - Several fixes for video playback with media source extensions (MSE).
>     This allows using WebM support for YouTube, which no longer works through
>     regular video source. Note that MSE is still disabled by default and
>     webkit_settings_set_enable_mediasource() has to be used to enable the
>     feature.

There is one note I would like to make about this: there are known issues
related to video playback using MSE, and work is ongoing to provide fixes
and further improvements in this area. Nevertheless, it was decided that
it would be better to do a stable release of WebKitGTK+ that makes YouTube
again useable as soon as possible.

Last but not least, please be aware that changes in GStreamer are needed
as well for improving MSE playback, in particular for WebM streams. We are
working to get the needed patches merged as well. Either an update to a
yet-to-be-released version of GStreamer will be needed, or we may post
a list of GStreamer patches that distributors may want to apply as part
of their build process.

Best regards,

-Adrian