[webkit-gtk] Proposal: remove WebKitPluginProcess2 in WebKitGTK+ 2.28

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at igalia.com
Mon Jun 4 11:01:12 PDT 2018

Hi,

I propose we remove WebKitPluginProcess2 in WebKitGTK+ 2.28 (March 2020
release). It's mainly useful for Flash, and that's going away from
other browsers in 2020, so two years longer should be sufficient.

I think it would be nice to remove the main WebKitPluginProcess as well
at that time, since Flash is the only NPAPI plugin that still works in
other web browsers. However, the plugin process itself doesn't really
ever slow down development, so I care less about that. In contrast,
WebKitPluginProcess2 occasionally causes tricky problems (usually
linker errors), and complicates the build by requiring we build a bunch
of files twice (making it difficult to unify many source files). So I'd
be plenty happy if we just got rid of WebKitPluginProcess2.

Michael