[webkit-gtk] JavaScriptCore with wekbitgtkv1?

Anthony Walter sysrpl at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 06:51:39 PDT 2018

I know webkitgtk version 1 is old and deprecated, but for the purposes of
supporting gtk2, I want to know if there exists a hook or connection
between a webview widget and libjavascriptcoregtk-1.0-0?

For example, in webkit2gtk there exists the function:

webkit_frame_get_javascript_global_context

Which I assume allows you to access the javascript engine for a page and do
things like define classes and functions in native code that a web page
inside a webview could access and invoke.

I know webkitgtk version 1 has webkit_web_view_execute_script, and it works
fine, but it's a one way communication avenue. That is, from your native
code to javascript, rather than from javascript back to native code.

For now with webkitgtk version 1 the only way I seen to callback native
code from javascript is through javascript methods like console.log(),
alert(), confirm(), and prompt(). I am hoping there is a better way.

Thanks again.