[webkit-gtk] Hello, new member with some questions

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at igalia.com
Tue Apr 17 08:27:48 PDT 2018

On Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 10:19 AM, Carlos Garcia Campos
<cgarcia at igalia.com> wrote:
> No, there isn't. You could use any javascript utility for that.

In practice, I've failed to find any JavaScript syntax highlighting
utility that can do this with acceptable performance. They all seem to
require huge amounts of time to present the result, whereas WebCore
used to be very quick. This is why Epiphany is still only capable of
showing  the page source in an external editor, like gedit. I think I
tried Rainbow and Prism, and found web sources reporting that other
comparable JS libraries are generally slower.

I'm planning to just give up on syntax highlighting altogether in order
to bring back internal view source mode, because the user experience
with the external editor is very poor in flatpak.

Michael