[webkit-gtk] Hello, new member with some questions

Carlos Garcia Campos cgarcia at igalia.com
Tue Apr 17 05:57:09 PDT 2018

El mar, 17-04-2018 a las 08:36 -0400, Anthony Walter escribió:
> Hi all, I'm new to webkitgtk.

Welcome!

>  I have been developing with it a bit for the past few days and am
> flummoxed with a few questions that I'm hoping you guys can clear.
>
> First some information, I'm running Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit and I write
> software using FPC 3.04 (Free Pascal), but have no problem
> understanding and compiling C code.
>
> 1. What Gtk widget sets are supported by webkit2gtk versions? I
> normally develop against Gtk2 libraries and want to know if it's
> supported by webkit2gtk. I see packages like this that have both
> "webkit2gtk" and "gtk2" in their name, which leads me to
> believe webkit2gtk has support for Gtk2.
>
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/xenial/+package/libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37-gtk
> 2

It's a bit confusing, yes. That -gtk2 means that the package contains
the plugin process with gtk2 support. It's a separation made by
Debian/Ubuntu to make the plugin process with gtk2 support optional.

> 2. When I search for packages that have the name libwebkit I see
> names like:
>
> libwebkit2gtk-3.0-25
> libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37
> libwebkitgtk-1.0-0
> libwebkitgtk-3.0-0
>
> What are the differences between the packages in this list?

libwebkitgtk are packages with old deprecated WebKit1 API, single
process model. -1.0 is the version with gtk2 support and -3.0 is the
version with gtk3 support. Both are deprecated and discouraged.

libwebkit2gtk are packages of WebKit2 API. Version -3.0 no longer
exists, and -4.0 is the current one that everybody should be using.

We dropped gtk2 support in WebKit2, except for the plugin process
because several popular plugins (like flash) required gtk2.

> 3. When browsing the latest documentation for webkit2gtk, I don't see
> an API for of webkit_web_view_set_view_mode. But in this page it's
> defined:
>
> https://webkitgtk.org/reference/webkit2gtk/2.2.6/WebKitWebView.html#w
> ebkit-web-view-set-view-mode
>
> But it this page it's not:
>
> https://webkitgtk.org/reference/webkit2gtk/stable/WebKitWebContext.ht
> ml
>
> Where did this function go and are functions being removed in the
> same major versions rather than being deprecated?

It's not the same major version. This is also confusing, but one thing
is the package version 2.2.6 and 2.20.0, for example, and another one
is the API/ABI version 3.0 in the former case and 4.0 in the latter.
That's why there are -3.0 and -4.0 packages, we had to break the API at
some point and we took advantage to remove that set_view_mode() too,
because the functionality was removed from WebCore internals. In that
API break we bumped the API version to 4.0.