[webkit-gtk] Hello, new member with some questions

Anthony Walter sysrpl at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 05:36:50 PDT 2018

Hi all, I'm new to webkitgtk. I have been developing with it a bit for the
past few days and am flummoxed with a few questions that I'm hoping you
guys can clear.

First some information, I'm running Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit and I write
software using FPC 3.04 (Free Pascal), but have no problem understanding
and compiling C code.

1. What Gtk widget sets are supported by webkit2gtk versions? I normally
develop against Gtk2 libraries and want to know if it's supported by
webkit2gtk.
I see packages like this that have both "webkit2gtk" and "gtk2" in their
name, which leads me to believe webkit2gtk has support for Gtk2.

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/xenial/+package/libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37-gtk2

2. When I search for packages that have the name libwebkit I see names like:

libwebkit2gtk-3.0-25
libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37
libwebkitgtk-1.0-0
libwebkitgtk-3.0-0

What are the differences between the packages in this list?

3. When browsing the latest documentation for webkit2gtk, I don't see an
API for of webkit_web_view_set_view_mode. But in this page it's defined:

https://webkitgtk.org/reference/webkit2gtk/2.2.6/WebKitWebView.html#webkit-web-view-set-view-mode

But it this page it's not:

https://webkitgtk.org/reference/webkit2gtk/stable/WebKitWebContext.html

Where did this function go and are functions being removed in the same
major versions rather than being deprecated?

Thanks for all your work and I look forward to hearing from you!