[webkit-gtk] Support clearing history

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at igalia.com
Sun Nov 26 18:49:13 PST 2017

On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 12:57 PM, Igor Korot <ikorot01 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Do you mean history or the BackForwardList?

I'm talking only about WebKitBackForwardList, which is completely
separate from browser history.

> Because if you are talking about the browsing history cleanup - this
> is ugly
> solution. Why should I destroy the view (browser) just to clear
> browsing
> history?
>
> Is there another sane solution?
>
> Both FF and IE have an ability to clear the browsing history and I
> doubt they are destroying
> anything when they do it.

Browsers implement their own history functionality, separate from
WebKitBackForwardList. For example, in Epiphany, history is saved in an
SQLite database, and clearing the history is accomplished by deleting
the database file and associated journaling file. Although there's no
way to clear the back/forward list, that's not really any problem,
because the back/forward list is only kept around as long as its web
view exists.

Hope that helps,

Michael