[webkit-gtk] Support clearing history

Igor Korot ikorot01 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 09:38:03 PST 2017

On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 11:11 AM, Michael Catanzaro
<mcatanzaro at igalia.com> wrote:

> Please note, from one of my previous mails:
>
> "WebKit does not manage browser history, so that's up to the browser and has
> nothing to do with WebKit. Clearing history works fine in Epiphany, for
> example."
>
> Epiphany stores its history in SQLite. Other browser may do other things.
> WebKit does not have any feature for saving or managing persistent history,
> it's entirely up to the browser. Most applications using WebKit are actually
> not web browsers, and don't want any history at all.

Yes, that's what I meant by writing:

[quote]
Anyway, I guess the actual history is kept either inside SQLite or
some other means
and it is not possible to clear it from either WebKit2GTK or GTK+2/GTK+3 API.
[/quote]

> Also, from one of my mails that did not make it to the list, because the
> list had been taken off CC:
>
> "Clearing the history of the back/forward list is a security requirement?
> What is your use-case for this; what are you really trying to do? The
> back/forward list is transient session state that goes away when you destroy
> the web view. It's not persistent (unless you deliberately save and restore
> it using WebKitWebViewSessionState) and it's not tied in any way to the
> actual history functionality of web browsers that use WebKit."

I am sorry.
I just looked at the IE "Internet Option" dialog nd I see that "Delete
History" button
is not on the "Security" tab. So considering all this I think I will
need some kind of way
to store the browsing history nd then a way to clear it up.

Thank you.