[webkit-gtk] Memory consumption in 2.14.x

Michael Gratton mike at vee.net
Fri Oct 21 15:53:10 PDT 2016

Hey all,

I recently upgraded to Epiphany 3.22 and WebKtGTK 2.14 and noticed that
the amount of memory used by my Ephy process had increased
significantly.

With ~70 tabs open in two windows, even though only two of those tabs
have loaded any content, the total memory used is around 7GB. Even when
using a single shared web process, the amount used was about the same.
There's a rough breakdown of numbers in this thread:
<https://mail.gnome.org/archives/epiphany-list/2016-October/msg00016.html>

The culprit seems to be accelerated compositing - with that disabled
(by setting WEBKIT_DISABLE_COMPOSITING_MODE=1) memory use returns to
previous levels - about 2GB.

While 70 tabs is perhaps a lot, Ephy is still using about 7 times as
much memory as Chromium and FF with the same number, which makes it a
bit hard to swallow, and is putting a lot of memory pressure on my
system.

Is this kind of memory use to be expected? Is there anything I can do
to debug where it's all going?

//Mike

--
⊨ Michael Gratton, Percept Wrangler.