[webkit-gtk] Is accelerated compositing (AC) successfully supported in webkitgtk2.4.9/webkit2 with X11 as backend?

Carlos Alberto Lopez Perez clopez at igalia.com
Wed Mar 16 04:37:50 PDT 2016

On 16/03/16 07:11, Huang Xinsheng wrote:
> Thanks a lot, Carlos.
>
> The libGL.so.1 is already successfully linked to WebKitWebProcess in my build.
>
> In webkitgtk2.4.9 ./Source/WebKit2/UIProcess/API/gtk/PageClientImpl.cpp, the following function enterAcceleratedCompositingMode  is NOT implemented.
> #if USE(ACCELERATED_COMPOSITING)
> void PageClientImpl::enterAcceleratedCompositingMode(const LayerTreeContext&)
> {
>     notImplemented();
> }
>
> So, it seems AC is still NOT fully implemented in webkitgtk2.4.9.
> When I load page with “export WEBKIT_FORCE_COMPOSITING_MODE=1” or not, it both runs into this function. So, it seems AC is already on.
> But, the page still shows as expected. It is strange because this function enterAcceleratedCompositingMode is NOT implemented.
>
> Anyway, I will stop research on it, and turn to use webkitgtk2.10.7, thank you.
>
> Best Regards
> Eric

The environment variable WEBKIT_FORCE_COMPOSITING_MODE has been
introduced in WebKitGTK+ 2.10.5. So that explains that you will see no
difference on previous versions.

I suggest you to try with the last stable version of WebKitGTK+, that is
right now 2.10.8

The 2.4.X branch is really old, and there is no reason to use it unless
for some reason you are forced to use the old deprecated WebKit1 API.