[webkit-gtk] gobject-introspection fix for OSX

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.fremont.ca.us
Sat Mar 12 13:45:55 PST 2016

> On Mar 12, 2016, at 12:11 PM, Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia <jeremyhu at apple.com> wrote:
>

>> On Mar 12, 2016, at 09:20, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.fremont.ca.us> wrote:

>>> For the record, the odd minor version (47) indicates it's an unstable
>>> release; we normally consider the latest stable (1.46.0) to be the
>>> "current" release.
>>
>> While that's generally true of Gnome projects, for GI an even minor number indicates only that it coincides with a general Gnome release. Everything is released off of the master branch; there's no reason for any release to be considered more stable. Regardless, the next general Gnome release is only a couple of weeks away and then you'll have an even minor number.
>
> Oh, thanks.  I didn't realize that.  The gnome-introspection port in MacPorts is setup to consider only even numbered minor versions as stable for all Gnome projects.  Is this true for any other Gnome projects?  Is there a list of which Gnome projects follow the odd=development even=stable model and which do not?

While not strictly Gnome, harfbuzz is another important dependency for the Gnome stack that doesn't adhere to the even-stable/odd-development rule. I don't for gtk-mac-integration or gtk-mac-bundler, either, though I've never done an odd-minor-number release for gtk-mac-integration. Neither is updated often so it seems silly. There are probably others that are released from master rather than having release branches, but afaik there's no list anywhere.

Regards,
John Ralls