[webkit-gtk] Send HTTP header line for every request

Jay Strict jay.strict at posteo.de
Sun Jun 26 09:53:38 PDT 2016

On 26.06.2016 08:20, Carlos Garcia Campos wrote:
> So, the answer is yes, you need a web extension, and the API you want
> is the signal WebKitWebPage::send-request. That signal is emitted right
> after the request is created and before it's sent to the network
> process, so that you can modify the request or even block it. The
> problem is how to create a web extension when using the js bindings,
> because a web extension is a .so loaded by the web process at startup.
> So at this moment I'm afraid it's not possible to do that with js, but
> I guess you could write the web extension in C, it will be just a few
> lines of code.

That's a pity, because Gnome shell extensions seem to support only JS.
You can upload the extensions on extensions.gnome.org, but what .so file
should I upload? For every platform, there must be a different .so file.
Furthermore, I suppose the Gnome people wouldn't accept a binary file
uploaded there.

Is there any other way?

>> Fortunately, I think you can get the behavior you want using the UI
>> process API, by connecting to the resource-load-started signal of
>> WebKitWebView; that will give you a WebKitURIRequest that you can
>> modify. I haven't tried this before; hope it works for you.
>
> No, that signal is emitted when the request has already been sent, note
> that the signal is named resource-load-started, it has already started,
> and the signal is only a notification.

I don't know much about WebKitGTK, but do you think there is any chance
that the authors (is that you?) would consider accepting a feature
request for my use case?

Thank you
Jay