[webkit-gtk] About the policy of (non) updating minimum build-dependencies

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at igalia.com
Sat Jul 9 12:51:17 PDT 2016

On Thu, 2016-07-07 at 12:32 +1000, Michael Gratton wrote:
> Eg. Ubuntu is still supporting 12.04 (GTK+ 3.4) until April next
> year,
> and 14.04 (GTK+ 3.10) until April 2019[0]. OpenSUSE 3.14 (GTK+ 3.10
>> think?) is their current Evergreen and will be supported through to
> November[1], while RHEL4 is supported through to the end of March
> next
> year, and RHEL 5 until November 2020 (no idea what GTK versions they
> support however - maybe only GTK+ 2.x!)[2].  The next Debian stable
> won't be released until early 2018, and will have at least GTK 3.20,
> likely higher.

Well we need to keep reasonable expectations here. Now that we're past
the WebKit2 transition, we can probably support any future Ubuntu LTS
for its full five years. But we can't support the 10-year LTS
enterprise distros. We also don't want to worry about less-popular or
unofficial efforts (openSUSE Evergreen).

I'd personally focus on catering to any major distro that actually
releases WebKit updates, to make sure they can continue to easily
update WebKit. Unfortunately that would currently disqualify both
Ubuntu and Debian as yardsticks here....

Michael