[webkit-gtk] GObject DOM bindings

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at igalia.com
Tue Aug 30 03:53:59 PDT 2016

On Tue, 2016-08-30 at 09:36 +0200, Carlos Garcia Campos wrote:
> Freezing the API is not going to be a problem in the short-medium
> term, we haven't added any new API to the stable part since we split
> the API, and I can only remember a single bug report requesting to
> move
> something from unstable to stable

We have a serious problem right now in that applications (Epiphany,
Yelp, Evolution) depend on our unstable API, but we break the unstable
ABI without any soname bumps. From a downstream perspective, this is
really terrible. It's fine to have unstable API, but it *must* have
proper soname versioning or it makes life hell for downstreams. We
could, e.g., have two separate shared libs, and you need to link
separately to the unstable lib to get the unstable API.

Freezing the API would have the side effect of immediately solving that
ABI problem.