[webkit-gtk] Why does it take sooo long to compile

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at igalia.com
Tue Feb 10 08:59:57 PST 2015

On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 8:01 PM, frank ernest <doark at mail.com> wrote:
> NO, this is NOT a complaint!
> I'm asking why it takes 3.5 to 4.5 hours to compile.

Yeah that's normal. A couple tips:

* -O0 actually makes it take slightly longer to compile on my machine
(no, I don't understand why) but the difference is not significant. You
might as well use -O2.
* Make sure you are not including any debug info if you want things to
go fast. -g should not be present in CXXFLAGS. If you're currently
using -g, then removing it will speed things up dramatically.
* Switching from ld.bfd to ld.gold will speed things up dramatically if
you're doing a debug build (with -g). I don't remember how much faster
it is for non-debug builds, but I would guess the difference is
significant.
* Switching from GCC 4.8 to Clang 3.4 made non-debug builds go ~15%
faster for me. This probably depends a lot on the specific compiler
version, though. Upgrading from Fedora 20 (with GCC 4.8) to Fedora 21
(GCC 4.9) caused my build time to increase by >20%, which was sad.