[webkit-gtk] WebKit2GTK+ and compositing in the UIProcess

Emanuele Aina emanuele.aina at collabora.com
Tue Dec 8 07:49:34 PST 2015

The current Accelerated Compositing infrastructure in WebKit2GTK+
relies on the WebProcess painting directly to a X Window owned by the
UIProcess, which is suboptimal due to the lack of integration with the
UIProcess paint loop (no synchronization between the WebView contents
and other widgets and no ability to stack other widgets on top of the
WebView). Ideally we should do what the Mac port does and export each
layer from the WebProcess(es) and let the UIProcess composite them in
its paint loop. GdkGLContext is explicitly meant to solve both the
synchronization and stacking issues.

To do that, my current understanding is that the most sensible way
forward would be to rely on GdkGLContext. in the UIProcess to
efficiently compose the layers, and make the UIProcess a Wayland
(sub)compositor to be able to use the Wayland EGL integration (even
under X, just like Weston).

Differently from Žan's WebkitForWayland approach where he just need to
export the handle for the final surface buffer to the WebProcess which
would then use it as a GL render target, we need to be able to use the
layer buffers as GL render targets in the WebProcess and as textures in
the UIProcess.

Exporting textures from the UIProcess as dmabufs and use them as render
targets in the WebProcess is not guaranteed to work in a efficient
manner, as the GL implementation may want to reallocate the storage
when it wants to, e.g. to win parallelism, but export would prevent
that.

Also using dmabufs directly means that we should have really low-level
per-platform knowledge as they are created with driver-specific ioclts.
The general advice from I got is to try to look at higher layer
approaches, and the most widespread abstraction over the mechanisms we
need is the EGL_WL_bind_wayland_display extension [3], thus the need to
be a Wayland (sub)compositor. This does not mean we should implement
every Wayland feature, we only need to use the protocol to pass buffers
around leaving input management to the WebKit2 infrastructure. The
output-only demo nested compositor[1] in the Weston sources is around
~1k lines, whitespaces included. We could use a reduced, output-only
version of the wakefield compositor experiment[2] from Alex Larsson and
Jasper St. Pierre for this purpose.

The sequence is more or less this:

 * UIProcess: calls eglGetDisplay() on the native display (Wayland or
   X11)
 * UIProcess: calls eglBindWaylandDisplayWL() to initialize EGL Wayland
   client support in the Wayland (sub)compositor
 * WebProcess: calls wl_display_connect() → wl_registry_bind()
 * WebProcess: calls wl_compositor_create_surface() →
   wl_egl_window_create() → eglCreateWindowSurface() →
   cairo_gl_surface_create_for_egl()  to create surfaces for each layer
   (or just use GL on the EGLSurface)
 * WebProcess: uses a custom Wayland extension to synchronize the
   Wayland vs. custom event streams when sending the
   CoordinatedGraphicsState to the UIProcess
 * UIProcess: calls eglCreateImageKHR() on the wl_buffers received from
   the WebProcess
 * UIProcess: uses the received CoordinatedGraphicsState to composite
   the EGLImages using GL or even passing them with no copies to the
   upstream compositor with eglCreateWaylandBufferFromImageWL() [4],
   but this would probably require the GTK+ scene graph work to land to
   properly detect if other widgets overlap the WebView

If GL is not available, I guess everything can be done by keeping the
layers in SHM buffers, and the final compositing happens in the
UIProcess using plain Cairo. Similar to the
eglCreateWaylandBufferFromImageWL() case, wl_shm (as a replacement for
XShm) could be used to upload some layers (eg. video frames) and avoid
one copy. The same cannot be done under X since Wayland uses POSIX
shared memory and X11 uses SysV shared memory.

Žan, Yoon, you're the one who probably have more experience on this,
would that make sense for you?

Do you see any issue with the described scenario or do you believe
there are more simple way to accomplish this?

[1] A stand-alone, output-only reference nested compositor:
    http://cgit.freedesktop.org/wayland/weston/tree/clients/nested.c
[2] A proof of concept of a GTK+ Wayland compositor for various
    situations: https://github.com/alexlarsson/wakefield
[3] http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/tree/docs/specs/WL_bind_wayland_display.spec
[4] http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/tree/docs/specs/WL_create_wayland_buffer_from_image.spec

--