[webkit-gtk] extremely slow reflow and/or painting on certain pages (due to xorg xserver 1.16?)

Michael Gratton mike at vee.net
Tue Sep 16 22:25:34 PDT 2014

On Wed, 17 Sep, 2014 at 1:43 PM, Michael Catanzaro
<mcatanzaro at gnome.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-09-17 at 12:28 +1000, Michael Gratton wrote:
>>  I'm running Ephy 3.12.1 w/ WebKitGtk 2.4.5 on the current Ubuntu
>>  GNOME
>>  beta. Recently, certain pages started updating *really* slowly, such
>>  that it takes a second or two before the effects of scrolling or key
>>  presses are seen. Duck Duck Go's search interface
>>  <https://duckduckgo.com/> and results lists are two examples.
>
> I noticed this recently on Fedora 21. The problem does not occur when
> using jhbuild to build webkitgtk and epiphany master in F20, so the X
> server version is at least a reasonable guess.

To try to confirm this, I just downgraded to X server 1.15 and the
problem has indeed gone away.

However, doing so also required I downgrade xf86-video-intel from
2.99.914 to 2.99.910, so the INtel driver could also be the source of
the problem. Michael, are you seeing this on a system with an Intel GPU?

//Mike

--
⊨ Michael Gratton, Percept Wrangler.
⚙ <http://mjog.vee.net/>