[webkit-gtk] extremely slow reflow and/or painting on certain pages (due to xorg xserver 1.16?)

Michael Gratton mike at vee.net
Tue Sep 16 19:28:03 PDT 2014

Hi,

I'm running Ephy 3.12.1 w/ WebKitGtk 2.4.5 on the current Ubuntu GNOME
beta. Recently, certain pages started updating *really* slowly, such
that it takes a second or two before the effects of scrolling or key
presses are seen. Duck Duck Go's search interface
<https://duckduckgo.com/> and results lists are two examples. Others
however are fine, and it's something that can can change dynamically -
in GMail's message composer, displaying the formatting pop-up toolbar
triggers the problem, and it goes away when the toolbar is hidden.

It's hard to pin down exactly when the issue started, but I think it is
related to upgrading to xorg's xserver 1.16.

I thought it may have been related to pages using colours with an alpha
channel less than 1, but I haven't been able to create a minimal test
case that reproduces the issue. Does anyone have some suggestions for
getting some debug info about  reflow/painting times so I can try to
work out what the problem is?

Thanks,
//Mike

--