[webkit-gtk] Crash in 2.4.7 Jessie

Gavin Lambert gavinl at compacsort.com
Tue Nov 25 22:08:17 PST 2014

Hi,

Not sure if I should be asking this somewhere else, but I recently updated a
test environment from Raspbian Jessie as of a couple of months ago
(containing WebKit/GTK 2.4.5-2) to the current Jessie as of today
(containing WebKit/GTK 2.4.7-2).

What had been a well-behaved WebKit1 kiosk app (apart from something odd
with SVG rendering, which is one of the reasons I was trying to upgrade)
started running significantly slower than before and not loading some of the
XHR content it should have been.  If I left it running for a while, it also
started logging this sort of thing repeatedly:

  GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_new_valist: object class
'SoupBodyOutputStream' has no property named '\u0004 \x9d\xe5'
  GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_new_valist: object class
'SoupBodyInputStream' has no property named '\x80\xb45\u0001'

(Each one had different garbage characters at the end; the output and input
messages were always paired.)

Then, while trying to open the Inspector to see if it would provide any
further hints to what was going wrong, the browser application crashed.
(And unhelpfully without any backtrace.  And it does this even before it
starts printing the above.)

It did log the following messages before it crashed:

  resource:///org/webkitgtk/inspector/UserInterface/ImageUtilities.js @34:
Can't open database due to: Error: SecurityError: DOM Exception 18. Images
will be generated instead of loaded from cache.
  resource:///org/webkitgtk/inspector/UserInterface/Main.js @665: Localized
string "Hide console (%s)" was not found.

(If it helps, midori also seems to crash even sooner just on loading the
page with errors like "GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 109 was not found when
attempting to remove it".)

Are these known issues?  Is there any known fix?  There don't appear to be
any newer WebKit1 releases after this.

Regards,
Gavin Lambert