[webkit-gtk] Deciding the deprecation path for WebKit1

Carlos Garcia Campos cgarcia at igalia.com
Fri May 30 08:51:18 PDT 2014

El vie, 30-05-2014 a las 17:44 +0200, Kalev Lember escribió:
> On 05/30/2014 05:29 PM, Carlos Garcia Campos wrote:
> > In any case we would not rename /usr/include/webkitgtk-3.0/
> > but /usr/include/webkitgtk-3.0/JavaScriptCore
>
> Fair enough, but in that case there are two directories to rename:
>
> /usr/include/webkitgtk-3.0/JavaScriptCore
> /usr/include/webkitgtk-3.0/webkitdom
>
> I still think it's cleaner to rename the top level directory to avoid
> changes in apps -- if you rename the individual directories apps would
> have to adapt to change from <webkitdom/foo.h> to <webkit2dom/foo.h> or
> whatever the new directory name is.
>
> If you change the top level directory instead and update the .pc file to
> point to the new directory:
>
> Cflags: -I${includedir}/webkit2gtk-3.0
>
> ... then apps could keep on using <webkitdom/foo.h> without needing to
> adapt for the rename.

So in the end, this would be bumping the binary version without breaking
the ABI. Maybe we could take advantage of it, and actually break the
ABI(/API), if needed. Not big changes, but probably reduce the amount of
DOM API we expose and remove all the current deprecated API in
WebKitDOM. We are going to force everybody to rebuild in the end, let's
take advantage :-P

--
Carlos Garcia Campos
http://pgp.rediris.es:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xF3D322D0EC4582C3