[webkit-gtk] Deciding the deprecation path for WebKit1

Emilio Pozuelo Monfort pochu27 at gmail.com
Fri May 30 07:05:59 PDT 2014

On 30/05/14 15:51, Alberto Garcia wrote:
> On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 03:44:17PM +0200, Emilio Pozuelo Monfort wrote:
>
>> Actually I see many things in Debian depending on
>> libjavascriptcoregtk (and thus linking to it).
>
> Yeah, I think I went too fast:
>
> $ readelf -a /usr/bin/shotwell | grep javascriptcore
>  0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)             Shared library: [libjavascriptcoregtk-3.0.so.0]
>
>> So a rebuild of those packages would get them linking against the
>> new libJSC. We would need a transition, but it would probably be
>> very smooth.
>
> So this is in practice equivalent to breaking the ABI.

Is there absolutely no way of having webkitgtk-1.4.x (webkit1) and
webkitgtk-1.6.x (webkit2) use the same libjavascriptcore ? Somebody mentioned
that WebCore is tightly integrated with JSC and so it can't be shared when
webkitgtk-1.6.x starts to diverge. That surprises me as right now
libwebkitgtk-3.0 and libwebkit2gtk-3.0 are sharing the same libjavascriptcore,
and all of them are maintaining ABI compatibility. But I don't the internals, so
I could be wrong...

If the ABI needs to be broken, we could still keep the API compatible, just
requiring a rebuild.

Emilio