[webkit-gtk] Breaking the API/ABI for 2.6

José Dapena Paz jdapena at igalia.com
Fri Jun 6 05:23:51 PDT 2014

El vie, 06-06-2014 a las 12:16 +0300, Adrian Perez de Castro escribió:

> This will make it possible to avoid having to use Web Extensions
> for simple use cases where user script messages are enough — and
> save time for developers migrating to WebKit2 now that WebKit1
> is not developed anymore. Last but not least, let's not forget
> that for the moment only we only load C/C++ Web Extensions and
> no built-in support is available for other languages, so having
> support for the user script messages API will benefit all the
> languages with GObject-Introspection support.

And still it is a bad solution if the things we are moving to UI process
are bigger than a couple of very basic things.

Every time we relay on ui process for contents generation we are making
useless the WebKit2 architecture.

So I think we should have the messages API. But it would be important to
also think on how to easy implement web process plugins:
* It seems the most obvious thing "implementation side" is using JS.
* But about content plugins (i.e. URI handlers, etc), how to implement
them through scripting? A kind of minimal injected bundle API? In the
end this should go to network process even.

So, instead of using the solutions that are more similar to what we were
used to do in a WebKit1 scenario, my question is... How thing should
look like in a WebKit2 scenario? How to preserve the processes
separation in the best way, even for the implementation of small apps?