[webkit-gtk] webkitwebframe control

Niranjan Rao nhrdls at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 11:14:25 PDT 2014

Victor,

I don't know about your particular use case, but I had similar need. I
had actually sent couple questions to the list querying about same or
similar things - accessing frame data early this year.

For us, it turned out to be more complex exercise than we initially
anticipated to migrate from older version to newer version. It took some
time to understand new web process model and reasoning behind it.

We actually had to write our extension and build secondary communication
channel between web and ui process as each process has its own data and
many times you need to access either piece. Simplest example will be
writing a small tool that visits a page, wait for page load (UI
functionality) and then sets color of an element which can be only done
in web process since DOM access is available only in web processes.

After migration, I must admit I am happy with the results. Carols and
other developers have done a great job in creating these releases.

The difference I see is that there two ways to use webkit gtk - as a
tool or as browser. Tools need complex interactions between both
processes. Extensions gives you that functionality, but then extensions
need to have communication with main process. May be we can have API
that allows communication between ui and web process. Example might be
send this message to this extension. Then extensions won't have to build
their own functionality and many of these problems can be solved by
simple messages.

Regards,

Niranjan