[webkit-gtk] Webkit GTK Release 2 - basically unusable for us

Martin Robinson martin.james.robinson at gmail.com
Thu May 2 06:06:57 PDT 2013

On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 5:59 PM, Eric Gregory <eric at yorba.org> wrote:

>> A WebPage corresponds to a WebView, but on the WebProcess side. The C
>> API exposes frames, but we have not exposed them in the GObject API
>> because we aren't sure if they will continue to be part of the
>> internal UIProcess API. That decision is really up to the Apple
>> developers -- who have said in the past they were thinking of ditching
>> them entirely.

> Wait, are you saying the C-based DOM API *is* going away?

No, what we usually call the GObject DOM bindings are not going away,
but the future of the C-based non-GObject WebKit API [1] is uncertain.
While we do ship these headers currently, we suggest using them unless
you are willing to gamble.

What I really meant was that frames, as an API construct might be
going away in WebKit2 at all, even in internal API. That's why we've
chosen not to add them to the GObject API.

1. http://trac.webkit.org/browser/trunk/Source/WebKit2/UIProcess/API/C

--Martin