[webkit-gtk] Webkit GTK Release 2 - basically unusable for us

Niranjan Rao nhrdls at gmail.com
Wed May 1 14:21:45 PDT 2013

Greetings,

I certainly hope that I am wrong with my dramatic subject line, but this
is the feeling I am getting right now. Its not my intention to start a
flame war as I have great respect for amount work webkit gtk team puts
in. However these are (possibly incorrect) observations I have for the
current release. Most importantly I am looking for help/guidance to move
to release 2.

I downloaded the release from the webkitgtk.org and build it without any
major problems. Initial simple test revealed that performance was very
good - much faster than version 1.* for my simple tests. However story
got much complicated once I started digging deeper.

For the work we do, we need to have complete access to DOM and frames.
Its not clear how to do that - e.g. if I need to change contents of
elements, add/remove elements, I could do that in earlier release by
accessing dom document from required frame. Now concept of frames seem
to have disappeared.

It seems like release 2 is completely designed to discourage dom access
and one goal in mind - just to be browser component. You point the url,
and it will do all the work behind the scenes.

Don't most of major projects such gtk projects mark methods as
deprecated and allow users to move on before actually removing the
methods? Code written with version 1 is not compilable with version 2 as
many of the methods or classes don't exist and there is no clear
migration path defined.

Please tell me I am wrong, I can still access frames/dom in release 2.

Regards,

Niranjan