[webkit-gtk] Crazy-long build times in GNOME 3.8??

Joanmarie Diggs jdiggs at igalia.com
Sat Mar 30 16:13:36 PDT 2013

Hey guys.

I recently moved one of my machines to Fedora 19. Yeah, I know, unstable
release is unstable. :) BUT, I am seeing crazy-long build times.

For those of you who suspect I may be exaggerating by "crazy-long"....
In Fedora 18, this machine could do a complete/clean release build in
~18 minutes. Here's what I just got attempting this same feat in F19:

    WebKit is now built (1h:53m:49s).
    To run GtkLauncher with this newly-built code, use the
    "Tools/Scripts/run-launcher" script.

<crosses eyes />

I am also seeing a ridiculous amount of spewage a la:

   warning: typedef ‘foo_bar’ locally defined but not used [-Wunused-
   local-typedefs]

along with various COMPILE_ASSERTS.

And by "ridiculous amount," I mean it's more or less a steady stream. So
I'm guessing this is connected to the extra ~1.5 hours(!!) it now takes
me to build WebKitGtk. Any idea on if the blame belongs to the user
and/or the environment, or if instead it necessitates a change to be
made somewhere in WebKitGtk?

Thanks in advance. Take care.
--joanie (who is too afraid to give a debug build a try)