[webkit-gtk] Accelerated Compositing w/ OpenGL ES

Ben Rockefeller benrockefeller5 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 22:32:53 PST 2013

Hello,

Unfortunately at the moment webkit-gtk performs worse than Chromium for
rendering applications with webgl or webkit 3d transitions.

I compiled webkitgtk+ 1.11.5 Linux to use OpenGL ES backend. But if I look
at AcceleratedCompositingContextGL.cpp it includes GL/gl.h ! It seems this
file is getting compiled but it is ignoring that I am using GLESv2.
Furthermore if I do enable accelerated-compositing through web view
settings all I get is a white page (without accelerated-compositing it
renders ok).

Could someone please explain if accelerated compositing with OpenGL ES is
supposed to work? And if not, then where should I look at to implement it.

Also has anyone here tried cairogles to see if it improves webkit gtk
performance...

Thanks