[webkit-gtk] hi, I am newbie, bring one question here

Tang Daogang daogangtang at gmail.com
Mon May 21 19:58:58 PDT 2012

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 10:47 AM, Gavin Lambert <gavinl at compacsort.com>wrote:

> Quoth Eric Gregory:
> > On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 6:37 PM, Tang Daogang <daogangtang at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> Why we only have and keep one language in browser? Google has released
> his Dart
> >> some days, which is to replace javascript in browser. If webkit-gtk can
> do
> >> GObject binding to DOM and other API, any/many language can do
> programming in
> >> browser, isn't it? I think this road is better than Dart.
> >
> > We're talking about two different things here.  Dart and Javascript are
> > designed to be cross platform languages that can be run in any browser.
> > WebKit-Gtk and its GObject Introspection bindings are designed to be used
> > in applications with built-in web browsers.
>
> Or, to put it another way, JavaScript is the platform-independent language
> *inside* the browser (page content), while GObject bindings are to
> platform-dependent languages *outside* the browser (chrome).
>
> Agree!

but what's the meaning of '*outside* the browser', you mean we can install
many language's interpreters in the plugin form to chrome/firefox? And use
these plugins to execute the language code (other than javascript) in each
pages? This plugin call webkit's function by GObject introspection. Then,
we can even use c code to accelerate web app!

--
Nothing is impossible.