[webkit-gtk] Hardware Acceleration

Vincent Li vincent.li at ubitus.net
Thu Jun 21 03:18:21 PDT 2012

Hi ketan,

In my knowledge, there are two cases when hardware acceleration is
involved; one is WebGL, the other is accelerated composition.
To build webkitgtk with these supports, you need to add the following
configuration

--enable-webgl=yes
--with-accelerated-compositing=opengl

the --enable-webgl configuration was set to yes by default in my last try
on 1.9.2, so this one can be ignored.
you will have to set --with-accelerated-compositing by yourself however,
because by default it was set to no.

And somewhere in your application, you will have to set properties of
webview to activate the features:

   WebKitWebSettings* setting =
webkit_web_view_get_settings(WEBKIT_WEB_VIEW(web_view));
   g_object_set(G_OBJECT(setting), "enable-webgl", TRUE, NULL);
   g_object_set(G_OBJECT(setting), "enable-accelerated-compositing", TRUE,
NULL);

Regards,
vincent.li at ubitusinc.com