[webkit-gtk] Ogg media support questions / compiling with debug enabled

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Fri Jun 15 14:28:28 PDT 2012

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 10:19 AM, Philippe Normand <philn at igalia.com> wrote:
>> However I'm having trouble compiling with debug info (./configure
>> --enable-debug). Even with 16gb swap, ld fails with "Memory exhausted"
>> during linking.
>>
>> Any tips on how I can get around this?
>>

> Are you trying to build on a X0 laptop? Sounds like very ambitious.
> I think you'd need lots of RAM (8G recommended) and use the GNU Gold linker.

I solved this with:

- Enabled 16gb swap (don't think it was touched though, probably not necessary)
- "./autogen.sh && make" as normal
- When "Memory exhaustion" error hits, run: make
LDFLAGS="-Wl,--reduce-memory-overheads -Wl,--no-keep-memory"

gold didn't work here - it ran out of memory too. It was more verbose
in its error message, telling me that a mmap() call failed to allocate
~800mb. I don't know why it failed as I had plenty of free RAM (inside
my 6GB total), 16GB swap totally unused, and overcommit enabled. gold
doesn't seem to have an equivalent to --reduce-memory-overheads
--no-keep-memory

I also tried things like ./autogen.sh --enable-debug-symbols (instead
of full on debug with no optimizations) but that failed early during
build.

Daniel