[webkit-gtk] WebKit2 zoom API (II)

Gavin Lambert gavinl at compacsort.com
Mon Feb 6 13:32:56 PST 2012

Quoth Carlos Garcia Campos:
> No, it doesn't. That use case is covered by the setting approach, the
> user enables zoom-text-only setting and then she disables it to zoom
> everything. Note that page zoom factor also scales the text. If both
> scales were applied at the same time in that scenario, the text would
> be scaled twice, first for the text zoom level and then for the page
> zoom level, so in the end the text won't be scaled to the zoom level
> you provided (unless page zoom level is 1, of course). That's very
> confusing IMO, and it's the odd behaviour I mentioned in previous
> emails.

What I'm imagining as "correct" behaviour (which sounds different from what the current API will do from your description, but I haven't tested it) is that the user via text-only-zoom mode zooms the text to 1.2x normal size.  Then they switch to page zoom and zoom to 2.0x.  The text should now be 2.4x normal size (or 1.2x the size it would be at the 2.0x page zoom), with everything else 2.0x normal size.  If the text resets back to 2.0x as well (which is what it sounds like you're describing), *that* would be the confusing behaviour in my book.

The most important thing, though, is that if the text zoom was 1.2x before page zooming, then page zooming to 2.0x and then back to 1.0x should leave the text zoom at 1.2x.  Otherwise it's just weird.

I don't have any particular mandate or drive behind this, though, so it doesn't really bother me either way.  Just letting you know how I see it. :)