[webkit-gtk] WebKit2 zoom API (II)

Gavin Lambert gavinl at compacsort.com
Thu Feb 2 14:09:19 PST 2012

Quoth Carlos Garcia Campos:
> I still haven't heard of any use case where you want to set both
> scales at the same time, all other ports don't allow it because it
> produces unexpected odd results, so I still think we shouldn't
> support it.

The only use case which occurs to me is for someone who has a bit of
trouble reading (but don't have a similar problem with images), so they
want to set the default text size a bit larger than intended by the
page author.  And then on occasion they'll want to zoom in everything
else.  That might count as using both scales at the same time.

Although I suppose the browser side could just save the default text
zoom, and then restore it after they finish page zooming.  Might look a
bit weird in practice, though.

Having said that, I note that Firefox appears to have lost the ability
to set these independently in recent versions as well (I don't have
anything WebKit based on my PC at the moment), so I guess they don't
see it as a useful/problem case either.