[webkit-gtk] WebKit2 zoom API (II)

Xan xan.lopez at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 07:52:01 PST 2012

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 3:30 PM, Carlos Garcia Campos <cgarcia at igalia.com> wrote:
> I still haven't heard of any use case where you want to set both scales
> at the same time, all other ports don't allow it because it produces
> unexpected odd results, so I still think we shouldn't support it.
> However, I have a proposal to not block the API in this particular
> decision:

I also don't remember any use case mentioned in the other thread other
than people saying some client had requested it. Perhaps my memory is
failing me, but if there are valid use cases it would be useful to
hear them.

Also if the other ports do not allow to do this I guess it's very good
indication that we probably don't want to do it either.

>  - Rename current set_zoom_level and get_zoom_level as
> set_page_zoom_level and get_page_zoom_level
>  - Add set_text_zoom_level and get_text_zoom_level
>  - We save both values, but when one is set, the other one is reset
> (like it happens with apps calling
> webkit_web_view_set_full_content_zoom() all the time before setting the
> soom level)
>  - That way we have both methods in the aPI and we avoid the setting.
>  - If we eventually find a use case where it makes sense to set both at
> the same time we can just change the behaviour without having to change
> the API (just the impl and the documentation)
>
> Does it sound good?

Unfortunately I think that still would count as an API break. Changing
how the API behaves is an API break, even if your application still
compiles. So it's not as safe as you make it sound, IMHO. Considering
that I'm not really sure that it's worth it to change the current API,
if I'm understanding things correctly.

Xan