[webkit-gtk] Getting an HTTP response message

charles at hailoo.com charles at hailoo.com
Mon Aug 13 08:43:37 PDT 2012

I've been trying for a while to figure out how to use the Webkit GTK
API to get an HTTP response code for a particular page-load.

According to the documentation, there seem to be two relevant signals:
"resource-request-starting" and "resource-response-received", both of
which provide you with access to a SoupMessage object that contains the
HTTP information.

So, I tried connecting a signal for "resource-request-starting":

g_signal_connect(web_view, "resource-request-starting",
G_CALLBACK(resource_request_starting_callback), 0);

...and it works nicely. Within the callback function I can get access
to the underlying SoupMessage object which gives me information about
the HTTP request.

BUT... when I try to get the actual HTTP response, I run into trouble.
I tried listening for the "resource-response-received" signal:

g_signal_connect(web_view, "resource-response-received",
G_CALLBACK(resource_request_starting_callback), 0);

This causes GLib to emit a warning:

GLib-GObject-WARNING **:
/build/buildd/glib2.0-2.30.0/./gobject/gsignal.c:2295: signal
`resource-response-received' is invalid for instance `0x2b46c00'

Googling around for "resource-response-received", I find almost no
information at all about this signal. The documentation seems to
indicate it does what I want, but in practice it doesn't actually work.

So, I don't know if I'm going about this the wrong way. But in general,
what is the best way to get an HTTP status code (like 200, 404, etc.)
for a page load using Webkit GTK?